Your plastic windows are sweating. What to do? Almost every one of us faces this problem. Remarkably, it most often manifests itself after replacing outdated wooden window blocks with new PVC structures. It would seem that there is nothing terrible, but if you do not take certain measures, then the consequences can be the most sad.
First, the microclimate suffers from this. Since plastic windows fog up from the inside, it means that there is an excessive concentration of vapors in the air, which condense on the glass, since they are the coldest part of the room. Living in such conditions is not only unpleasant (the constant presence of musty, rotten smells), but also harmful to health. By the way, the recommended humidity for residential premises is from 40 to 50%.
Secondly, its increased level initiates the development of mold and mildew. Everything is affected: surfaces (base), finishing materials, household appliances, personal items. This leads to irrational money spending – more frequent repairs, buying new clothes to replace damaged ones, and the like. Let’s consider the main reasons for fogging windows in the house and how to solve this problem.
Decreased efficiency of natural ventilation
It would seem, what is the connection between the hood in the kitchen, in the bathroom and the replacement of window blocks? After all, nobody touched these engineering communications? The fact is that wooden frames, no matter how you seal them up for the winter (by gluing strips, sealant), still partially let the air from the street through. For example, through microcracks in wood, gaps between glass and frame. “Ways” of penetration are enough.
Plastic windows close the window opening “tightly” (if we take into account their “foaming” around the perimeter after installation). It turns out that such additional “ventilation” of the room is now blocked, and moisture particles settle on the glass.
Tips for removing fogging windows
- Ventilate the room more often. This can be done regularly, several times a day, by opening the sash fully for 10 minutes. The second method is “general” ventilation, in which all doors and windows are thrown open for 2 – 4 minutes (depending on the temperature outside). The third is to keep the sash of one of the windows in a slightly open position longer. Naturally, everything is determined by local conditions – the weather, the presence of babies in the house, the quality of heating and a number of others.
- Install forced draft (ventilation). In apartment buildings, the characteristics of the available (natural) ones often do not meet the requirements, for example, for the reason that the channel is partially clogged.
Poor quality or violation of installation rules
This happens, as a rule, when self-installing window units. If the assembly was carried out by an unprepared person, then incorrect installation of fittings, seals, and so on is possible. Adjustment also requires some experience.
In addition, it is necessary to pay attention to the quality of the “foaming” of voids, the correct arrangement of the vapor barrier, the installation of slopes. These are the most common mistakes, especially when it comes to insulation. It is done in different ways. For external slopes, it is advisable to use polystyrene foam (expanded polystyrene), for internal – mineral insulation (mineral wool).
It is also appropriate here to recall such a concept as “dew point”. Therefore, you should not save on the number of double-glazed windows. If it is only one, then fogging cannot be avoided.
Tips for eliminating window condensation
- Install the unit with at least two glass bags (depending on the climate). Even better – with a film (energy-saving). A vacuum or three-chamber will cost a little more, but this will be a reliable guarantee against fogging.
- Probably, the new sill is too wide and prevents the flow of warm air masses from entering the glass. In this case, it is better to redo it. There are also such recommendations – to drill holes in it. But this is as you like.
- Cover a layer of polyurethane foam with a cement solution (both inside and outside the building). This applies not only to the perimeter of the window, but also to the places of abutment to the walls of the low tide and slopes. It is also necessary to inspect the window sill from below – if necessary, carry out the same processing of the “foaming” places.
What to consider additionally
- If the apartment has been renovated and the glass of the plastic windows is sweating, then perhaps the quality of the vapor barrier has decreased during the surface finishing. The wrong choice of primer, pasting with non-woven, vinyl wallpaper and much more leads to its deterioration. The whole room turns out to be “corked up”, and the excess moisture has nowhere to go except to condense on the glass. And if the repair is only planned, then it is necessary to provide for this.
- Curtains over window openings should be placed so that there is some gap between the curtains and the window sill.
- If decorative grilles are installed on the heating batteries, then it is advisable to dismantle them for the winter, since they are a kind of obstacle to the way of heated air rising up.
- The flower pots on the windowsill promote condensation on the glass.
- In some cases, a device called an “air dryer” helps. But the expediency of its use is verified only by practice, since in some rooms it is effective, and in others it is not.
- Condition of plumbing. Various “leaks” increase the level of humidity in the apartment.
The solution to the problem of fogged windows must be approached in a comprehensive manner. Practice shows that it is caused not by any one, but by a combination of a number of reasons. Therefore, all of the above, although to varying degrees, but affect the condensation on the windows.