Making your own 100% natural, homemade laundry product is one of the most accessible ways to start your transition to a litter-free, healthier life. This is because the products that you can buy in stores, even if they tend to have an increasingly interesting composition, are sometimes still loaded with chemicals that you should avoid as much as possible.
The good news is that prepare your laundry at home requires only a few ingredients and very little time. Here is a simple recipe to make!
Why make your own laundry at home?
Even if the large distributors have made great efforts to offer organic and natural alternatives to their customers (this is particularly the case in the Lidl catalog online, the brand having its own range of organic cleaning products, but also with its competitors such as Carrefour which distributes ecological laundry La Maison Verte), industrial laundry detergents are most often chemical compounds. For example, in the list of their ingredients, we find sulphates, perfumes, phenols and much more.
Some brands even continue to use petroleum distillates, which are now known carcinogenic effects and links with certain lung diseases.
To avoid all these products which are, in the long term, harmful for the environment and especially for your health, it is therefore much better to make your own laundry.
What ingredients will you need to prepare your homemade laundry
Don’t panic: you will actually only need three basic ingredients (very easy to find) to make your own homemade laundry powder or liquid:
- Soda crystals (which you can find in most department stores). They are sometimes referred to as sodium carbonate and made from common salt and limestone. They are also found in the form of natural deposits. You can also make and perfume them yourself.
- Borax (also available in major retailers). It is a natural mineral composed of sodium, boron, oxygen and water. It is a common ingredient in most natural soaps;
- A bar soap (preferably natural, glycerin-free and fragrance-free).
All of these ingredients, as we have just seen, can be easily purchased in your usual supermarket. Soda crystals as well as borax will usually be available in the aisle where you usually buy your laundry and soap along with cosmetics.
The homemade natural laundry recipe
Now let’s move on to practice. Here is our natural laundry recipe, to be made with the ingredients we have just presented to you:
- Grate the soap or use a food processor to make a fine ground powder. You can use the soap of your choice, but we have a small preference for natural or even homemade soaps (from coconut oil for example);
- In a large bowl, combine two cups of soda crystals, 2 cups of Borax, and one cup of grated soap.
- Store your homemade laundry in a closed, airtight container.
- Use 2 tablespoons for each of your laundry.
Preparing your laundry at home is not only very easy, but a great alternative to chemical detergents. However, for those who will not find the time to make it themselves, it is still possible to find ecological and natural products in store!